RoLanka offers GeoNatural™ products made of coconut fiber (coir)
- Coir fiber is unpalatable to wildlife, which makes them a more suitable green resource for environmental restorations and wildlife habitat improvements.
- Coir fiber is an abundant, renewable natural resource. Coir fiber is one of the most durable and readily available natural fibers. The tensile strength of coir fiber exceeds that of straw and excelsior (wood fiber) and jute.
- Coir fiber is strong, durable and versatile. The versatile coir fiber is used to make variety of GeoNatural™ products for erosion control, sediment control, soil bioengineering, landscaping and gardening.
- Woven bristle coir blankets provide protection for tough erosion problems. RoLanka’s BioD-Mat® woven bristle coir blankets have a higher tensile strength and a four- to six-year functional life. These hold moisture and support seed germination and seedling growth. The ability to plant through the mat without having to cut into it is a big advantage in these semi-permanent, open weave blankets. They are excellent for use in establishing vegetation in channels and slopes. Vegetation successfully comes through these mats and field experiences support these products further due to the ease of mowing and maintenance of the restored areas. These semi-permanent natural blankets have repeatedly proven to perform better than the synthetic permanent mats and provide true green solutions in these applications.
- Coir fiber is an excellent sediment filter. Coir fiber medium in coir sediment control products provides better filtration than straw, wood fiber and other non-degradable products. EPA field studies have shown that coir fiber not only removes sediment, but also phosphorus and heavy metals.
- Coir sediment control products can be left on site at the end of a project to biodegrade. This adds organic matter to enrich the soil and lowers sediment control costs by eliminating the need to remove, haul and dispose of the material. This in turn, reduces pressure on landfills and provides true green solutions to protect our environment.